Tinker Around

Welcome to my blog. It is full of basic projects and tutorials for things that I have done and feel like others out there would benefit from learning too. Be sure to take time to leave me a comment. Thanx, Pam

Thursday, June 23, 2011

How about those stacked plates that are used at parties for cookies, cup cakes, and cake balls!  They are so pretty and make up of the old plates that are out there.  First set of pictures are the supplies.
These old plates are not just for mosaic projects!!  The plates cost me around $8 for all of them.  I got the candle stick holders at my local Dollar Tree, can I say that I really love that place!  Lastly, there is a round bowl with a curvy top that I picked up at another flee market for $1.


This glue is found at your local craft store, WalMart, and at some hardware stores.  It is great for Glass and many other surfaces, and it dries clear!!


I use the most inexpensive rubbing alcohol that I can find and some paper towels to take stickers and tags off all the glassware.  Works great!! 


In the two pictures above, I want you to try and see where I put the glue on around top of the candle holder and the base of the bowl.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but it is a good idea to not let it drip down the sides and make a mess of your project.  After it is dry, this glue is there!

Glue all the holders to the bottom of each plate. Be SURE that you leave it set on a very level surface to dry.  Take a look at the next picture.  Do you see it...
See that shiny are to the left of the candle holder?  That is where the holder slid over because my table wasn't level.  Oh my, just grabbed it and slid it back over and put on a level surface.  It has that little shine on it now, but it is on the bottom, so I am not worried about it.

Here are all the plates drying.  Walk away.  Let me clarify this...WALK AWAY!!!!  It is so tempting to go ahead and put glue on the other ends of the candle holders and set them all together, DON'T!!!  You are just asking for something to slide or break!  Also, double check to make sure that your pieces are centered.  You can measure and mark with a dot before gluing, it is on the bottom and won't show.

We are almost finished.  This is a side view, and just make sure you are level.  Then look at it from the top down and make sure it looks like it is all centered.

Notice in the picture above, the bottom large plater plate is not even showing.  I think that is because of the distance between the bottom two plates.  And now, in the photo below is our finished project!

This is my first one, and I really like the way that it turned out.  I am now looking at Thrift Stores and Flee Markets for more plates that coordinate with each other to make some for gifts or to sell.  I want to do one in roses for my bedroom or powder room.  I will tell you that it is much easier to purchase all your plates at one time, they are much easier to match and not have to guess at the coloring.  I paid $1 for the smallest plate, and $2 for the larger platter plate, and then went ahead and paid $6 for the medium one just to know that it matched.  You have to decide if it is worth the extra or if you want to tote around glassware for the next few weeks.  

Well, that is all I have for you this week.  As it starts warming up outside, be sure to grab a friend and do some flee market shopping.  Be sure to take a lot of cash with you, as it is very addicting!!!  See you back here later, and please post under comments the deals that you are finding and what you are making!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment